We want to better equip our current and future committed teachers by sending them for further education and providing in-house teacher training.
Currently, there are very few schools in the villages where OM is working. The nearest school can be up to 7 km walking distance from the village. The trained teachers prefer to work in cities, leaving a great shortage of teachers in remote villages. Therefore, the village teachers are not as well trained, and education is on a low standard. Teachers merely follow a program and the Bible is not part of the curriculum.
Education is still a very underdeveloped service in Zambia. Many rural and impoverished communities have very little, if any, access to education for their children. In order to establish vibrant communities of Jesus followers among the least reached, we see education as an integral aspect of raising up both teachers and children as community leaders.
Education provides a platform for influence in the community and meets fundamental needs. When teachers in a community are equipped to improve education and use it as a tool for the gospel, it creates an opportunity for a transformation of beliefs in the community members, which changes lives.
We are a team of teacher trainers and local interns equipping primary school teachers in approximately 12 schools in Zambia, Malawi, and Tanzania. Through workshops, modeling, individual coaching, and mentoring, we focus on equipping teachers with teaching strategies that increase student engagement in the learning process, challenge students to think deeply, and incorporate the truth of the Gospel in their classroom instruction.
In addition to training teachers, we are raising up local teachers as trainers to continue training teachers in these models and raising up teachers who are equipped to go to least reached areas to use education as a tool to reach children and their families with the good news of Jesus Christ.
PRAYER POINTS for Teacher Training
- Pray for the ongoing discipleship training (it will run for 2 months), for wisdom for the facilitators, and for God to work in the lives of those undergoing the training.
- Praise that the teachers are already beginning to put into practice what has been learnt. Pray they will continue to grow in their role as teachers and discipleship mentors.
- Pray that we will provide relevant trainings for each of the schools and teachers we serve.
- Please pray that God will open doors connecting us with more schools and teachers especially in least-reached areas.
- Pray that the Gospel will be clearly presented to and through the teachers we train so children and communities are transformed.
Partner with us
All of our schools are in need of financial support and even more so during this time of COVID-19. We are struggling to feed our students because food prices have gone up so much! We are also struggling to pay our teachers. Please pray for God’s provision so our schools can remain open!
Read more about our other prevention projects here.
Like us on Facebook to stay in touch with the ministry.